Filmmaker Dibakar Banerjee is all geared up to take over screens with film, ‘Detective Byomkesh Bakshy!’, this Friday (April 3). The film, starring Sushant Singh Rajput, is based on Bengali writer Sharadindu Bandyopadhyay’s fictional character, Detective Byomkesh Bakshi. Expectations are sky-high, especially from fans of the series. If you are still unsure about watching, we lay five reasons before you that hopefully change your mind.
1. Sushant Singh Rajput: Ever since he made his Bollywood debut with Abhishek Kapoor’s ‘Kai Po Che’, Sushant has been named an a rising star. He was quite noteworthy in ‘Shuddh Desi Romance’ and ‘PK’, where he played a small role. However, the actor who has so far been seen in contemporary roles, will be portrayed in a totally different avatar in the film.
2. Dibakar Banerjee: One of the most talented filmmakers in the industry, Dibakar Banerjee has proved himself time and again with films like ‘Khosla Ka Ghosla’ and ‘Oye Lucky, Lucky Oye’, that went on to win National Awards. Having previously taken up social issues in his films, this is the first time that Banerjee will be doing an all out entertainer.
3. Kolkata: Set in old Calcutta (Kolkata), ‘Detective Byomkesh Bakshy!’ is bound to take you on a journey in to the colonial city of the 1940s with its old world charm.
4. Element of mystery: Since ‘Detective Byomkesh Bakshy!’ is a major whodunit film, the identity of the villain is still under wraps. And it would undoubtedly be delightful to watch the mystery unfold and reveal the baddie.
5. Byomkesh Bakshi: Though the film is a based on the Sharadindu Bandyopadhyay’s fictional character, Detective Byomkesh Bakshi, this is the first time that we actually get to visualise what the detective really was like. The film begins right at the origin, with the first case of Byomkesh.